Friday, October 9, 2009

Up and Down

This week I really started working, which was a real blessing because at the same time that I felt exhausted and could write a list of things I did, I felt useless. I think that its a good reminder that I'm not here with the goal of fixing anything or anyone, but just to share and to learn...

First we had a bake off in our kitchen for the Transitus of St. Francis, so we baked for every Franciscan order in our area: the OFMs, the CFRs, the Poor Clares, and the Franciscan sisters. It was crazy but its their feast day and they were really appreciative. But I went with Juliette and two guys to the OFMs and gave a cake to literally the most socially awkward group of seminarians, but I think they were just nervous to be around girls haha! Roger one of the volunteers told us that we were temptacions jokingly. I retold the story to the Padre Juan Diego CFR and later he retold it to two friars making fun of me in a valley girl voice it was literally hilarious. All of the friars are really funny and sociable, I hope to form really good friendships with them.

One of the things I had to do this week was start to translate a mountain of letters that kids in the Becas program wrote to their benefactores but I was literally so touched by it. Over and over again I read how grateful they were to be given the opportunity to afford to go to school and how much it helps their families. While I was translating in the library I had four little visiters that we read stories with and they told me a little bit about their families and the stories they have are truly amazing. One of the conversations I have over and over again is how so many kids just want to go to the States. I'll ask kids what they want to be when they grow up and they say "To be in the States," and over and over again I say how we have our problems too! Its not a solution because Honduras doesn't need more people leaving, they need really strong young people.

One of the best things has been to be able to form real friendships with people here. Its so incredible how open people have been and especially when I was feeling homesick about not being home for Jackies wedding. This week we had a going away party for Cecelia one of my house mates and it was really incredible how close I feel with everyone only after 4 weeks. And to prepare for the party, I have been learning how to cook a ton of stuff which is all incredibly unhealthy for you like fried chicken haha! My old health conscious self has officially died as I leave to eat tres leches cake. But Im praying for everyone from here especially this weekend! I miss you all and Mary will have no trouble bringing the party without me!

Love, prayers, and wishing I were in MA,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment